Monday, July 10, 2006

My sis's last day of school

Long time no c.... Sorry had been busy with life that I didn't get much time to blog, and time flew by and my sis finished off with teaching at the school. Anyway, for most part of the story, it was quite uneventful in that she didn't write much about it. I am just gonna give a jist of her experiences...which are more for the laughs than anything else.

Most of the time, she played with the children... which was the best part I think. The school is just a small primary school, and on an average, there are only about 8 to 10 students in each class. She handled three classes, grade 1, 2 and 4. She seemed to think the first graders were cute, the fourth graders were smart, and the second graders were dumb. Ofcourse there was the language barrier initially, but sign language did help her a lot. The best part of teaching students at that age is that it is easier to pick up the language from them... I mean learing to speak Amharic. I bet Rose can speak much better now, maybe better than me, but not more than Mom. Mom speaks like she is a natural...

She said it was fun to teach for them. She is very creative and she got a chance to do lots of fun stuff with the kids. She taught them a bit of craft, how to make a paper boat and the likes of it. She gave them assignments... didn't exactly ask what it was but I bet it would have been something appropriate for that age-group. She obviously lost patience with them because on any normal day, kids of that age in all parts of the world are difficult to control.

She finished off with teaching last week. Said she taught the kids to dance to an indian song (from the movie Dil Chahata Hai). She is a south indian classical dancer (bharatnatyam dancer) but doesn't necessarily stick to the rules of the dance...in that she moves as she wishes, which is pretty ok to watch. She said the kids really picked up the dance... ofcourse they would. Their own different Ethiopian dances are so graceful and nice. Almost every Ethiopian is a natural dancer.

Her episode of teaching finished off. Maybe I should get my Mom to contribute to some articles here. She has been there for almost two years, and will be there for the next two years so I should probably get her to write about her teaching experiences. I will...maybe my next post will be that. Until then.... farewell.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home